Atlanta airport suspect, in gunfire incident that sparked panic, surrenders to police: report

× Atlanta airport suspect, in gunfire incident that sparked panic, surrenders to police: report

An off-duty police officer shot a passenger in the leg at the airport early Saturday after he apparently opened fire at a gate that served gates nine and 10 and caused panic, police said.

The man surrendered soon after when he exited a taxi cab about a mile away from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, police spokesman Steve Grimes said.

Grimes said officers discovered numerous shell casings in the immediate area of the shooting at a gate outside Concourse C.

He said he didn’t have details about who fired the gun, what kind of weapon it was or how many shots were fired.

The passenger was hospitalized. The extent of his injuries wasn’t known. Police don’t know if he or the officer were shot, Grimes said.

“We’re still sorting out that scenario,” he said.

“As far as the off-duty officer, we had spoken to him at some point. We have not spoken to him since then. We’re still trying to piece together a timeline.”

Spirited standoff

Earlier, police said an off-duty officer was shot at around 1:30 a.m. near the airport’s terminal 15, where most of its international flights depart.

An officer and two passengers were injured in a shooting incident at the airport, police said.

Atlanta police spokesman Steve Grimes told reporters that the incident took place near a gate that service gate nine and 10.

Grimes didn’t say what led to the shooting.

But he said the gunfire caused several people to run through the terminal.

Sirens could be heard as officers and others evacuated passengers from a concourse. They quickly began taking refuge in nearby buildings.

The airport also said on Twitter that the crime scene was contained, that it was safe to exit the terminal and that “there is no additional danger to customers.”

An hour later, police said they were still working to keep the shooter at the scene.

They asked anyone in the airport to stay away from the crime scene, which was cordoned off by police.

Officers were escorting all passengers exiting the terminal toward the J.W. Marriott for shelter and to get on buses to be taken to a bus terminal, police said.

Hundreds of passengers were stuck in long lines of cars and buses for a few hours before authorities directed them to a YMCA.

The area of the airport affected by the shooting is the international terminal, which is nearly 3 acres, according to a document on the airport’s website.

CNN’s Michael Pearson contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment